Printed RC Hotrod car body

Here I proudly present the project of the last month(s): A printed hotrod car body.

The project was to build a fitting car body onto a chassis of a RC-racer:


This emerged during a visit of a RC-event last summer. Someone asked me if I could build something like that.
I said "I'll try" and accepted the challenge.

The choosen outfit was a hotrod model like this matchbox hotwheels hotrod from 1988:


Therefore I first had to scan the miniature hotrod with my laserscanner and remove the lights, because
this part is not printable, and resize it to fit on the RC-chassis.

After that, I had to make it hollow inside. This was the biggest challenge, because a car body
for a RC-racer should be thin and stable together:


The first solution just to size it down and subtract it from the original failed because of the
huge car wings. So I cut them off and subtracted them separately - marginally shrinked of course.
I tried this with different shrink rates to check out how thick the walls would be.

Later on I flattened the roof of the car for a better look and cut off a little in the middle to get
the right wheelbase for fitting on the RC-chassis. For getting a better symmetry, I mirrored the model in the middle - the result
of that was very impressive.

I also placed two cubes at specific positions inside. Into this cubes I cut holes which plug into the connectors on the RC-chassis.

A lot of work - especially if you're just learning how to manipulate 3D-models.

But this were only the basic changes of the car body. The most time consumable part was the fine tuning.
The first print didn't fit correctly as expected.
In the front the inside was not wide enough for the shock absorbers and in the middle there was not enough space for
the receiver of the RC-racer.

After removing the interfering parts the body was too thin to be printed (0.15 mm in the thinnest area)...

This meant: start again at the part where I made it hollow inside.
Also I had to cut off the car wings a little more, changing only the width of the object, to get more space
inside without changing the wheelbase and at last, tuning the wall thickness to a minimum which is still printable.

After all these changes, I put our logo on the doors and the logo of the owner of the RC-racer on the roof:





Now it looks pretty nice, fits almost perfect and the weight is ok, too: 32,8 g PLA.
The original weight is unreachable: 12,5 g.

Perhaps I should try to print it in ABS, which as a lower density to save more weight...

Overall it was a lot of work to make a perfect fitting RC car body, but I learned a lot about editing 3D-models and
the final result was worth it all.



Greetings from the lake of constance

BonsaiBrain


Comment (1) Hits: 6537

printed childhood home

This was one of the bigger projects: My childhood home in 3D!



Inspired by the house of domonoky the idea arose to make a cool christmas present for my parents.
So I took a few photos, because some details were not present any more, although I lived there 20 years.
After that, I made a sketch how to arrange the inner walls:



Then I took OpenSCAD and designed it wall by wall and floor by floor.
It looked quite nice, but the details were still missing. And as we all know, the devil is in the details.
After designing some standard windows and doors, which I can easily change with some variables I placed the different types at their positions.
But windows and doors were not the whole thing. The balcony, the chimney, the rain pipe, the window panes - all had to be designed and placed.

And to make it really nice, I designed the roof tiles.
Designing and rendering these roof tiles was the most time consuming part. About 2000 tiles with more than 50 vertices each - this was too much for openSCAD.
So I rendered them row by row and put them together by using blender boolean union.
The result after 80 h boolean union with about 10 parts was still not good, because blender didn't work correctly.

The last recource was editing the blender file with netfabb and repair the tiles from the inside to get a nice surface and not this shit blender computed.

But it was worth it all. The final result looks really nice. It is an almost perfect copy of my childhood home.



Printing was the easy part.
I just made 11 parts, added some connectors at each side and resized it to about 1/65 scale so the parts are not too big.
The complete printing time was about 65 h with a slice thickness of 0.2 mm on my reprap mendel. The object is made of white PLA.
To make sure the roof will not brake away from the printbed, I glued it with a hot-melt gun - easy to remove from PLA and from the printbed,
but sticky enough for that purpose.




One can look at each floor separately.

Floor1:

Floor2:

Floor3:

Complete:


My parents were deeply impressed that I could make this within 2 weeks from sketch to printed model.
Perhaps I can print it in the designed size one time, because this model is factor 0.64 of it. But the time before christmas was too short, to make a bigger model.

The files can be downloaded here.

Greetings from the lake of constance.

BonsaiBrain










Comment (0) Hits: 5940

More Articles...

  1. Warhammer 40k dreadnought