Paste extruder for multicomponent candy

Share

2PrintBeta proudly presents: The casted paste extruder

Last time we introduced our version of a paste extruder for heavy duty action with 20 ml syringes.

Here we present the complete casted paste extruder. The model has been improved a little bit. I reworked the openSCAD file of the model. Now it is more readable and more configurable as before. But not all depends on only the syringe size, it is per default for 20 ml syringes. When adjusting to 10ml or 50ml syringes one has to change some other parameters too, but its relativly easy to adjust to other syringe sizes. I also added a toggle swith to switch from casted masters to printed models.

The casting was a challenge:

We tested the whole process from making the masters to the first casted model. First we tested if the printed version would fit, e.g. the size of the holes for the bearings, the syringe and the belt. Then we printed the master of the casted version and made a mold of it. After casting the first copy we compared both:

Even the small bridges for clamping the timing belt came out perfect:

One side is glossy:

Then we printed the masters of the other components and also made sure their hole sizes are correct. After everthing seemed to be right, we made molds of all parts:

Some parts are hard to remove from the mold, but as the molds are flexible it worked out fine.

The thrill was rising during the first assembly of the casted parts, would everything fit together ? Or would there be some problems. It turned out, everything was fitting perfectly on the first try.

Now we are pround to announce the casted paste extruder set:

You can buy it at our shop on www.2Printbeta.de.

In the meantime I made some more test with our prototype. I tried something special with our paste extruder: printing multimaterial candies

A suitable model was quickly found: the famous companion cube.
The first print test with a 0.8 mm nozzle looked quite promising - until the nozzle blocked with some larger sugar cristals.



So be carefully, always filter the sugar powder with a fine sieve before adding it to the marzipan or it will block.

For the next try, we modified the model by adding four chambers inside and printed it again - this time with the larger nozzle:



Before the cube was closed we added red currant jelly while printing with another syringe:



After the print was finished, we carefully removed the cube from the printbed and poured hot chocolade over it:

Being happy with this result we tried another print with carefully filtered sugar powder mixed into the decor marzipan.
This time the small nozzle didn't block and the cube was so detailed that one can see the hearts on the sides and on the top.



After chocolade glazing it it was frozen to prevent the jelly from dropping out when taking pictures:





And the best of all: It tastes as good as it looks!

The file can be found on thingiverse as part 26047.

Greetings from the lake constance
BonsaiBrain

Leave your comments

Post comment as a guest

0
terms and condition.
  • No comments found