The adventure with my Huxley continued, as i got the missing parts and started to install the belts, motors and the hotend.
As the Hotend was too big to fit in between the two bars, i printed a adapter as a stop-gap measure. The adaptor brings the hotend before the two bars of the x-axis so it doesnt get in the way. As the Hot-end now isnt in the center anymore, i also mounted a longer buildplate a bit off-center, so i still have the same print space. This is all temporary and i plan to print a wider x-axis so i can fit my hot-end in between the two bars in the future.
Here is how it looked after i installed all this:
After this i installed the extruder with its bowden cable and tried the first plastic extrusion manually:
After this i had to fight a bit with my custom electronics and the corresponding firmware. It took a while till the firmware was ready to be able to make its first real print. The firmware on this custom hardware is a ported version of the teacup software, which i first had to adapt to this hardware. But today it was ready and i made the first few testprints. The prints arent really good, and it needs many improvements, mosty to the skeinforge settings, till they are compareable to the results of our other printers. But it prooves that the hardware works.
Take a look at my first prints:
The one on the right was the very first one, clearly too much plastic and, as i noticed, my z-axis wasnt calibrated correctly so the layers where half as thick as i wanted. The second one in the middle was already much better but it had some irregularitiess and the top was shifted to the side. After a bit of tinkering i found out that the belts where too loose and that caused the shifting and the irregular form. So after putting my belts under more tension, the last print on the left was made. Some problems are still there: somehow two sides of this cup are flat, while the others are round. And there are too much strings left, but thats because i didnt setup the retraction in skeinforge till now.
So the Huxley is now able to print, but it still needs some love..