Beta casted prusa XClamp assembly

Some 2Printbeta customers of our casted prusa parts set asked how to assemble the X-Clamps which are not like the standard Prusa.

 

So I prepared a little photostory for all who might have problems with the assembly:

Here you can see both assembly methods:

Method one, the one at the bottom of the picture needs 2 M3 Screws 25 mm, 4 M3 washers and 2 M3 nuts. Just assemble as showed.

Method two, the one at the top of the picture shows assembly with just 2 M4 16 mm screws which fit tight into the holes for the M3 screws.

In picture 2 you can see the assembled version one with an inserted M8 rod and a M8 Nut fitting into the bottom hole.

In this picture you can see another M8 nut from the top which is screwed above a small spring. By pressing the top nut into the hole with the spring, the M8 nut at the bottom-side appears.
Screw the bottom-side M8 nut towards the bottom hole as far as possible while pressing the spring down.

In picture 4 you can see the nut inside the bottom hole before relaxing the spring.

In picture 5 you can see the relaxed version. The bottom nut disappears inside the hole and the top nut is only 1 mm visible.

The part with the spring is just additional. You don't need a spring actually. You can omit the M8 nut at the top side completely or insert 2 nuts on both sides to fix the Z-Axis.

I hope this was useful for you.

Kind regards

BonsaiBrain

Comment (0) Hits: 10916

Huxley 3

The adventure with my Huxley continued, as i got the missing parts and started to install the belts, motors and the hotend.

As the Hotend was too big to fit in between the two bars, i printed a adapter as a stop-gap measure. The adaptor brings the hotend before the two bars of the x-axis so it doesnt get in the way. As the Hot-end now isnt in the center anymore, i also mounted a longer buildplate a bit off-center, so i still have the same print space. This is all temporary and i plan to print a wider x-axis so i can fit my hot-end in between the two bars in the future.

Here is how it looked after i installed all this:

After this i installed the extruder with its bowden cable and tried the first plastic extrusion manually:

After this i had to fight a bit with my custom electronics and the corresponding firmware. It took a while till the firmware was ready to be able to make its first real print. The firmware on this custom hardware is a ported version of the teacup software, which i first had to adapt to this hardware. But today it was ready and i made the first few testprints. The prints arent really good, and it needs many improvements, mosty to the skeinforge settings, till they are compareable to the results of our other printers. But it prooves that the hardware works.

Take a look at my first prints:

The one on the right was the very first one, clearly too much plastic and, as i noticed, my z-axis wasnt calibrated correctly so the layers where half as thick as i wanted. The second one in the middle was already much better but it had some irregularitiess and the top was shifted to the side. After a bit of tinkering i found out that the belts where too loose and that caused the shifting and the irregular form. So after putting my belts under more tension, the last print on the left was made. Some problems are still there: somehow two sides of this cup are flat, while the others are round. And there are too much strings left, but thats because i didnt setup the retraction in skeinforge till now.

So the Huxley is now able to print, but it still needs some love..

------------------------------------------

Domonoky

Comment (2) Hits: 4400

More Articles...

  1. Huxley 2