Beta casted Wallace 3D printer prints nicely

As we have earlier posted we have now a beta casted Wallace 3D printer available in our shop. And as some people questioned how good this printer prints, i made some efforts to show how good the print quality of this printer can get.

So i connected a RAMPs 1.4 and a arcol.hu 3.0 hotend to this printer and started calibrating. After adjusting the configuration values of the sprinter firmware to this printer, i started the first testprints.

But it quickly showed that the PID values in the sprinter firmware where not really good for this particular hotend. The temperature varied up 40°C around the requested temperature, which ofcouse causes some printing difficulties. As you can see in the following picture, there are parts of the model where temperature got too high and the whole object started to melt.

So to analyse this, i used the output of pronterface to plot the achieved temperature and find out how to tune the PID values better. In the next picture you can see how the temperature response was in the beginning. The blue curve is the current temperature and the red curve is the heater pwm value. The target temperature was 180°C and you can see how it always over- and undershoots the target temperature.

Some experimentation then got me to this curve. Where it still overshoots in the beginning, but it quickly gets to a pretty stable temperature value with a variation of only a few degrees after the first peak. This was good enough for the next experimentations.

The next print then looked like the following picture. As you can see the temperature problem is solved, but the prints look pretty wobbly.

I quickly found out that this is caused by the x-axis not beeing completly level. As the Wallace uses two motors for the z-axis, a not completly level x-axis causes uneven lift on the z-axis. That means the x-axis is lifted on one side first and then the other side. Fixing this made the z-axis going up smoothly and the next print looked much better:

If you look at it in detail, you can see that there is still a little bit of wobble, but much less then in the blue statue.

Finally i made a short video of this last print, take a look and enjoy a Wallace 3D printer printing:

 

If you now like to get this printer, all parts are available at www.2printbeta.de

Comment (0) Hits: 5147

Beta casted Wallace 3D printer

2PrintBeta presents: The beta casted Wallace 3D printer !

As described in a earlier post we experimented with the Wallace 3D printer model from www.reprap.org and we were suprised by its printing qualities. This 3D printer model is simpler than the Prusa or the Mendel model and much faster to build. You can build this model in a few hours and be ready to make 3D prints in one evening.

So we decided to make masters and molds, as we have done for the mendel and the prusa 3D printer, to be able to offer you the parts for this printer for a good price. All parts where adjusted to have a good fit with the bolts, bearings and motors. Also we had to modify two parts to make them castable.

One of the modified parts was the x-carriage. Due to the wide, round slot for the hot-end, its not possible to get it out of the mold in one part. So we splitted the part in two halfs, which are connected via an rectangular connector and hold together with the already needed extruder connection screws. Take a look at the following pictures:

The other modified part was the base-end module. Originally this part had slots for motors on both sides. But for casting you need parts which have at least one flat side and the other holes arranged in a way so you can get the part back out. So we made the inner side of the base part flat to make it castable. Now this part was castable, but there was no place to mount the y-motor. So we made a new motor holder which just slides on the bars between the two bases. Take a look at the following pictures:

Also the height of this part was modified. The original height of about 47 mm is for the 42BYGHW811 like NEMA17 steppermotors. Our motors are a little bit shorter, so we could reduce the total height of the printer by lowering it down to the height of our NEMA17 steppermotors, which are only 40 mm tall. On the picture below you can see both in comparison:

All other parts stayed unmodified and where just adjusted to fit exactly to the LM8UU bearings, Nema 17 motors and bolts.

Of course we also used our already known casting technique to make molds with almost all holes already casted in. Todo this we make master parts with holes, cast the molds and carefully cut the horizontal bars when we take out the master. Due to this the holes are already casted in the final parts and the enduser doesn't need to drill any holes. Take a look on how such molds look like:

Of course you can find the digital models for the master on thingiverse as thing 21779.

To make a full 3D printer you also need bars, bolts, motors, electronics and more. You can find all of this and much more on our webshop at www.2printbeta.de

For the Wallace you need the following parts:

Casted Wallace parts with Wades extruder
Wallace bars and studdings set
Wallace nuts and bolts set
Wallace bearings set
Wallace timingsbelts set
Wallace printbed
5 Nema17 steppermotors
Wades extruder screw set
RAMPS 1.4 electronics set
RAMPS 1.4 wiring set
Arcol.hu 4.0 hotend set or J-head hotend set

All together only around 560€ excluding shipping. Get it while it's still in stock !

You can also find more information and an assembly guide in our wiki.

Comment (0) Hits: 10011

More Articles...

  1. Building a Wallace